Back in Brisbane and another day at work. As usual I pack my bag for work which includes all my meals for the day and my training gear. At the start of the day I’m not sure if I will have time to train today but as I always do I pack my training gear just in case a chance to train pops up. As it turns out my day at work isn’t too hectic and I know that my session for the day can be knocked over in about 30 minutes, so I grab an opportunity during my lunch break to do a session. Some people might scoff at the idea of being able to train in their lunch break, saying they don’t have the time, but those same people will spend 20 minutes going to buy their lunch, and then sit in a meal room for another half and hour eating it.
I get that some people geniunly don’t have a lunch break at all due to workloads, but for those that are afforded the luxury of a scheduled lunch break, take advantage of it and spend it doing a session and then spend what time that’s left over to get some post-workout nutrition into you. I know it’s not ideal and can sometimes feel a bit rushed, but in my opinion a rushed session is better than no session at all. Give it a go, like me you should feel more energised for the afternoon at work, hopefully avoiding the mid-afternoon slump.
I’m still working on the program that alternates between a day of heavier weights with low reps and a day of moderate weights with higher reps. The reps are all worked out on a percentage of my 1RM:
- About an hour before training I downed a Pre-workout shake.
- Concept 2 Rowing Machine for 5 minutes.
- Dynamic Stretching
- Push-ups x 20
- 2 x sets of assisted chins for 10 reps.
- Dips – 10 Sets x 4 Reps @ 80% of 1RM (18kg)
- Chin-ups – 10 Sets x 4 Reps @ 80% of 1RM (10kg)
- Static Stretching
This workout took me only 30 minutes to complete.
- All reps and sets are done with good form (no cheating of swinging the weight).
- Alternate between dips and chin-ups.
- Rest for exactly a minute between all exercises
- During the workout sip on water.
- I use a weight belt to strap on a dumbbell to increase the weight I am lifting.
- After the session I had a quick shower and downed a post-workout shake, then it was back to the office to finish my shift.
I would rather do a short workout than none at all. Through good time management I was able to sneak in a session without eating into my work or personal life. Be prepared to take advantage of any opportunity to train that presents itself, the worst feeling for me is to not train for a few days, knowing that I had opportunity to train but I didn’t take advantage of it.