Today is the last session of my current weight training program. I was looking forward to it all day, because completing it is a goal that I wanted to achieve.
I started on this weight training program 12 weeks ago, with a main goal of completing the program with consistency and intensity.
I also set myself certain strength goals, most or which I not only achieved but surpassed.
For today’s session at about 10:00pm, I headed into my work gym at the end of my shift.
My Program for Gaining Muscle and Losing Fat
• About an half an hour before training I downed a Pre-workout shake.
• 5 minutes on elliptical trainer
• Dynamic Stretching
• Push-ups x 20
• Flat Barbell Bench Press (Goal Weight: 120kg)
– Set 1: 10 reps x 50kg
– Set 2: 6 reps x 80kg
– Set 3: 3 reps x 90kg
– Set 4: 5 reps x 110kg
– Set 4: 4 reps x 115kg
• Incline Barbell Bench Press (Goal Weight: 90kg)
– Set 1: 6 reps x 70kg
– Set 2: 5 reps x 80kg
– Set 3: 4 reps x 80kg
• Military Press (Goal Weight: 60kg)
– Set 1: 8 reps x 40kg
– Set 2: 6 reps x 45kg
– Set 3: 4 reps x 50kg
– Set 4: 4 reps x 50kg
• Lateral Dumbbell Raises (Goal Weight: 15kg Dumbbell)
– Set 1: 6 reps x 10kg
– Set 2: 4 reps x 16g
– Set 3: 4 reps x 16kg
• Tricep Pushdowns (N/A Due to the fact that I am in so many different places and the machines all vary so much)
– Set 1: 8 reps x 32.75kg
– Set 2: 6 reps x 42.75kg
– Set 3: 5 reps x 42.75kg
Finishers – My High Intensity Fat Burning Circuit
I am still incorporating finishers at the end of my weight training session. Today I alternated between Jump Squats and Explosive Push-ups. I started by doing 10 of each back to back, then 9 of each back to back and so on until I reach zero. The whole circuit is done without rest and took me only about 4mins to complete.
• Static Stretching
• Straight after the session I downed a Post-workout shake.
• All reps and sets are done with good form (no cheating or swinging the weight)
• Rest for exactly a minute between all sets except for the last 2 working sets where you rest for 2mins.
• During the workout sip on water.
Another good session in the bag. I am stoked to have completed this program as I achieved my primary goal to train throughout the last 12 weeks with consistency and intensity.
Whilst this wasn’t the best program I have ever completed, I believed that as long as I attacked it with consistency and intensity that I could take something from it.
What did I take from it? Primarily I set personal records in both Squats (140kg) and Deadlifts (145kg) for reps.
These 2 records have been goals of mine for sometime, as I am of the belief that these 2 lifts should be the cornerstone of any weight training program. If you are strong at squats and deadlifts, then you will be strong at all of your other lifts.